Home > Housing Contracts > When Can a Landlord Rightfully Evict Someone?

When Can a Landlord Rightfully Evict Someone?

By: Garry Crystal - Updated: 29 Nov 2018 | comments*Discuss
When Can A Landlord Rightfully Evict Someone?

Illegal eviction is an issue that is taken very seriously by the courts. Tenants have many rights when it comes to periods of notice to quit a property, and landlords must obey these rights. Any tenant that is being harassed or threatened with illegal eviction will be able to pursue the matter through the court system, and there can be severe consequences for the landlord.

What is Illegal Eviction?

Illegal eviction is a criminal offence under the Protection from Eviction Act 1977. There are only a very few circumstances where a landlord can evict a tenant without giving notice or obtaining a court order. It will be deemed illegal eviction if a landlord evicts a tenant without giving notice, usually one to two months notice. It will also be illegal eviction if a landlord evicts without a court order and harasses a tenant that he or she is trying to evict.

Harassment can include changing the locks on doors without informing the tenants, tampering with gas and electricity supplies to the property, and threatening to throw out a tenant. A landlord also cannot enter a property without the tenant’s permission or disturb any of the tenant’s property. There can be very serious legal consequences for any landlord that tries to evict a tenant without following the correct legal procedure.

Notice Periods

If a tenant has signed a tenancy contract then there should be details of periods of notice needed to quit the property. The amount of notice required will be dependant on the type of tenancy agreement. For instance if the agreement is for an assured shorthold tenancy then the landlord must give the tenant at least two month’s notice to leave the property. An assured tenancy contract should guarantee that the tenant has at least two weeks to two month’s notice period.

If a landlord wants to evict the tenant before these time scales then he will need to seek a court order. If a court order of eviction is granted then the period of notice will be decided by the courts and will be dependant on the seriousness of the reason for eviction.

The Court Order

In most cases a court order will be required before a landlord can evict a tenant. Depending on the type of tenancy the landlord must first serve a Notice to Quit to the tenant. This will give the tenant a month to two months notice to leave the property. Once this notice period has expired and if the tenant has not vacated the premises then the landlord will need to receive a court order before an eviction can take place.

Tenant Compensation

If a tenant is evicted and decides to take the matter to the courts then they can be awarded financial damages. Damages can either be awarded under breach of contract or damages for illegal eviction. There are also a number of other damages that can be awarded and these will be dependant on the agreements made within the tenancy contract. Financial damages will usually be based on the amount of profit that the landlord has made by evicting the tenant.

There may be cases where compensation to the tenant for illegal eviction is reduced. These factors can include the actual reason as to why the landlord had to evict the tenant. If the tenant’s behaviour was bad enough to seriously warrant an eviction then the damages awarded may be reduced. There may also be reduced damages if the landlord had agreed to let the tenant live back in the property before the court cases was due.

Where to Seek Help

If a tenant is being harassed or threatened with illegal eviction then there are agencies that he or she can go to for help. Advice can be given from local Citizen’s Advice offices or any government housing association. Solicitors should also be a point of call if the tenant is considering legal action.

Tenancy contracts are in place precisely to stop illegal eviction taking place. The amount of damages that can be awarded for this type of action can be significant. However, it is in the tenant’s best interests to seek legal advice before proceeding with any type of court action against a landlord.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
@Lyn - you would have to seek some legal advice on this question I'm afraid.
ContractsAndAgreements - 27-May-15 @ 10:34 AM
Hi my nans house was illegally sold, How can I get it back? My nans signature was forged! What steps do I need to take to put it right? Do I need to go through a solicitor to start the ball rolling? Linda
Lyn - 24-May-15 @ 10:32 AM
I came on your site as i have a situation whereby i have been told i was illegally evicted from the commercial property i was renting from an agent. but all sites i go on only talk about the evicition of residential properties. I have been everywhere and no one including the citizens advice bureau can help. regards linda
lin - 21-May-15 @ 5:05 PM
Hi Brother, I am very confused above this explanation when it comes to eviction by local landlord. It is acceptable by law, or there should be the involvement of police officer and laws enforcing officer?
Ambassador - 1-May-14 @ 5:05 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Emgem
    Re: How a Landlord Agreement Works
    Would this be classed as a breach of tenancy agreement on the landlords part. In the agreement it says pets are not allowed in…
    30 March 2020
  • stone
    Re: Breach of Contract
    I employed a maid to clean and take care of my house to be paid at the end of the month;she worked for two weeks and abandoned the job and…
    17 March 2020
  • Itsme
    Re: Child Maintenance Contracts
    My ex is trying to say that if he is going to see his son then I have to do one drop or pay for one of his lifts? And I have to pay…
    14 March 2020
  • Elaine Yates
    Re: Store Agreements Explained
    Can you pay some money off a Promissory note and then borrow again against the original note For example sign a promissory note for…
    11 March 2020
  • Salpal29
    Re: What If I Don't Have a Written Contract With My Employer?
    My partner now, has a self employed oral agreement with his employer. He has worked there…
    2 February 2020
  • Rose
    Re: The Law & Verbal Agreements
    My daughter and husband bought a house with a small building plot within the boundary that was retained by the seller to build…
    28 January 2020
  • Art
    Re: Legally Binding Contracts
    I took admission for one of the beauty course in private beauty salon in London and paid half fees at the beaning and after a month…
    28 January 2020
  • Ghibli
    Re: How a Landlord Agreement Works
    Landlord changing locks and not supplying a key or emergency or temporary accomadation. This after a fire and after the fire…
    26 January 2020
  • alfie
    Re: Title Deeds: Who Keeps Them?
    no point posting questions here nobody answers!
    24 January 2020
  • Husein
    Re: Contracts and Self Employment
    I am a self employed and working in Amazon last 6 month as delivery driver through RAM distribution Company.Unexpected called me…
    10 January 2020