Home > Relationship Contracts > Same Sex Marriage Contracts

Same Sex Marriage Contracts

Author: Garry Crystal - Updated: 8 September 2014 | commentsComment
Same Sex Marriage Contracts Civil

In Britain, civil ceremonies are the nearest substitute available for same sex marriage contracts. Civil ceremonies, or civil weddings, have become very popular since the law changed in 2005 to allow gay couples to form civil partnerships.

The Civil Partnership Act

Cities and towns in the UK were inundated with same sex marriage bookings after the introduction of the Civil Partnership Act in 2005. Around 15,000 gay weddings took place in the first nine months after the introduction of the law. Although same sex civil ceremonies are not regarded officially as weddings, the partnership act does give gay couple some of the same rights as married couples.

The Civil Partnership Act has caused some controversy since its introduction, especially from religious organisations. But advances in gay rights have been proceeding slowly and the question of why same sex couples cannot simply become married is still awaiting an answer from the government. Prior to 2005 civil partnerships were not possible in the UK and at the moment the option for gay couples is either to proceed with a civil partnership or wait until the law changes and permits same sex marriage contracts.

Civil Partnership Rights

The main advantage to entering into a civil partnership is that the contract will give many of the same rights to same sex couples as would be afforded to any married couple. These rights under the law include:

  • Advantages concerning tax discounts.
  • Child support rights.
  • Tax credit rights.
  • State and welfare benefits and inheritance tax rights.
  • Joint parental responsibility.
  • Compensation for fatal accidents of either partner.
  • Recognition as next of kin.
  • Immigration and nationality recognition.
In fact the only real difference between civil partnerships and marriage is that same sex couples cannot officially call themselves married. There is also no religious aspect to civil partnership ceremonies.

Legal Requirements

There are some requirements that will need to be met before a civil partnership can be seen as official. These rules include that both partners be of the same sex and are not already married or still in a civil partnership. Both partners must also be over 16 years of age, and if they are under 18 then consent must have been received from the parents.

The Civil Partnership Process

Couples who are intending to form a civil partnership will have to register their intention by giving at least 15 days notice of their intention to register. When they give this notice they must also register where the partnership is to be actually performed. This notice should be given at the registry office in the district where the couple reside. All that is then required in order to enter into the same sex “marriage” contract is for the couple to sign the register on the official day at the registry office or other approved location.

The registration should be witnessed by at least two people and rings can be exchanged. There is no legal requirement for either couple to adopt the other’s surname, but some couples will do this as a further symbol of their commitment and love towards each other.

Terminating a Civil Partnership Contract

As with marriage contracts there are a few legal requirements that will need to be met before a civil partnership can be dissolved. These will include applying to the court and supplying evidence that the partnership has broken down beyond repair. Reasons for the breakdown can be unreasonable behaviour, desertion for two years, separation for two years with an agreement to terminate the partnership, and separation for five years where no agreement is needed.

Once the partnership is dissolved then some of the legal rights may also be terminated. However, as with marriages, some rights including parental responsibilities and child maintenance will still officially be recognised by the court. If agreements regarding these rights cannot be reached between the couple then the court system may be called in to resolve the dispute and help both parents come to an agreement.

Many people are of the opinion that people should only enter into marriage contracts with love as the key factor. But these agreements are a step forward in giving equal rights to everyone regardless of whether the agreements are called same sex marriage contracts or civil partnerships.

You might also like...
Leave a Comment, Ask for Advice or Share Your Story...
Why not be the first to leave a comment, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopfully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • dimps
    Re: The Law & Verbal Agreements
    i have an assignment where i have to give a client some advice whether he can enforce a deed that was repudiated,the deed was…
    31 January 2015
  • eiger
    Re: How a Landlord Agreement Works
    Hi My landlord has entered my property without notification or permission on at least 5 times in the last 3 weeks - that I am…
    30 January 2015
  • Becca
    Re: How a Landlord Agreement Works
    @niceguy - you shouldn't have to give him these personal details!
    30 January 2015
  • ContractsAndAgreements
    Re: The Law & Verbal Agreements
    @katsue - I'm afraid as we are a UK-based site we can only advise on UK law.
    30 January 2015
  • niceguy
    Re: How a Landlord Agreement Works
    hello i am about to rent a parking space of a land that am the ownet. the tenant is asking me a copy of my land contract a coppy…
    29 January 2015
  • Maddie
    Re: Tenancy Contracts Explained
    @angela - same thing happened to me with my tenant, it was quite handy that the boiler broke, the tenant had the cheek to ask me…
    29 January 2015
  • ContractsAndAgreements
    Re: Tenancy Contracts Explained
    @angela - this is always a tough one as in many cases a landlord will have to go to court to regain possession of their property.…
    29 January 2015
  • katsue
    Re: The Law & Verbal Agreements
    My question is concerning a will or trust and a verbal agreement that was name of the Father two daughters that the Sun we get…
    28 January 2015
  • angela
    Re: Tenancy Contracts Explained
    my tenant is behind on his rent, has not purchased the necessary insurance asked for inhis contract, has also been smoking in the…
    27 January 2015
  • ContractsAndAgreements
    Re: How a Landlord Agreement Works
    @Cheryl - as with the comment below, who was a person in a similar situation, if you do not hear back from your landlord - then…
    27 January 2015
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the ContractsAndAgreements website. Please read our Disclaimer.