Home > Relationship Contracts > Common Law Marriage Contacts

Common Law Marriage Contacts

By: Garry Crystal - Updated: 5 Jan 2020 | comments*Discuss
Common Law Marriage Contacts

In recent years the number of couples who live together as man and wife has grown considerably. In Britain the statistics for couples who live together but are not married is around one in six, or 25%. Many of these couples are still under the assumption that common law marriage contracts exist and that they are entitled to the same rights as legally married couples.

Common Law Marriages Contracts

If ignorance is bliss then many couples are living together happy in the knowledge that if the split up they will have the same rights as married couples. In fact in legal terms there is no such thing as a common law marriage. The assumption that if couples live together as man and wife for a number of years they are classed as married within common law is in fact a myth.

Although couples may act as if they are married and buy property together, have children, and open joint bank accounts, they do not have the same legal rights as married couples should they split up. When unmarried couples split up they have virtually none of the legal rights that married couples do regarding such issues as financial support and property rights.

Common Law Marriage and Rights

As far as rights are concerned common law marriage contracts are not worth the paper they aren’t written on. Unmarried couples do not have the same rights as those who are legally married and this is where problems arise when couples split up. Property rights and living arrangements can be a big problem when unmarried couples split up.

Where the law is concerned, whoever’s name is on the lease or mortgage is the person entitled to continue living in the home. This means that property rights go not to the person who was paying the mortgage or rent but to the person who actually signed for the lease or mortgage. If a split does occur, then the person who signed the lease can ask the other to move out and the law will be on their side.

Financial Rights of Common Law Marriage

As the law courts do not accept common law marriage contracts it is a wise move to have some precautions set in place regarding finances and property. Couples who are intending to live together but are not intending to marry should make sure that property and financial agreements are signed by both parties.

If renting a home together both names should be on a tenancy agreement. If a couple is buying property together then this needs to be documented. The simple act of paying half of the mortgage without any proof will not be automatically accepted in a court of law. If one half of the couple already owns the home and the other half moves into the home some form of legally binding document should exist to protect the rights of both parties.

Maintenance Payments

As far as the law is concerned ex partners are not entitled to maintenance payments. There is no legal requirement for one partner to pay the other any form of maintenance even if one half of the couple gave up work to look after the home and children. However, if children are in involved then maintenance will need to be arranged in the form of child support payments.

Wills and Common Law Marriage

Unlike couples that are married, couples who live together will not have the same rights if one partner dies. If no will has been made then the surviving partner will not automatically be entitled to inherit anything. The surviving partner will also not be entitled to any state benefits such as bereavement benefits or pensions that are based on the national insurance contributions of the partner that died.

Living Together Agreement

Couple who are intending to live together without marriage should consider entering into a Living Together Agreement. This is a document that can be drawn up that will include the terms and conditions pertaining to the rights of the couple. It should include financial considerations and how property and finances will be divided should the couple split up. Although living together agreements do not score high with the romance factor it is a wise idea to protect the financial rights of both parties involved.

Couples who live together for a number of years as man and wife should be fully aware of their rights, especially where children, property and finances are concerned. It is far better to be realistic about these issues and have agreements set in place than to be left with absolutely nothing if a break up occurs.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Your own statements contradict themselves.To become a married couple has always been a right and pre-exists government itself.People have been getting married for 5,000 years man!The idea that only if you get the government's permission to be married, only then will your rights to contract, your property and parental rights be protected.How absurd.Rights like marriage, parenting, owning and acquiring property, self-defense, etc, all come from nature, not government.Sure, governments can choose to ignore your God given rights, but all governments who act in this manner always seem to eventually find themselves ended by violent revolution.If a couple holds themselves out to be married and both have consented as such and act as such, they are in fact married and the courts should respect that couple's choices, but also hold them to the responsibility that goes along with that decision.All law is based on contractual consent.... without consent, you have tyranny and violence.
Michael D. Elliott - 29-Feb-12 @ 8:21 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Emgem
    Re: How a Landlord Agreement Works
    Would this be classed as a breach of tenancy agreement on the landlords part. In the agreement it says pets are not allowed in…
    30 March 2020
  • stone
    Re: Breach of Contract
    I employed a maid to clean and take care of my house to be paid at the end of the month;she worked for two weeks and abandoned the job and…
    17 March 2020
  • Itsme
    Re: Child Maintenance Contracts
    My ex is trying to say that if he is going to see his son then I have to do one drop or pay for one of his lifts? And I have to pay…
    14 March 2020
  • Elaine Yates
    Re: Store Agreements Explained
    Can you pay some money off a Promissory note and then borrow again against the original note For example sign a promissory note for…
    11 March 2020
  • Salpal29
    Re: What If I Don't Have a Written Contract With My Employer?
    My partner now, has a self employed oral agreement with his employer. He has worked there…
    2 February 2020
  • Rose
    Re: The Law & Verbal Agreements
    My daughter and husband bought a house with a small building plot within the boundary that was retained by the seller to build…
    28 January 2020
  • Art
    Re: Legally Binding Contracts
    I took admission for one of the beauty course in private beauty salon in London and paid half fees at the beaning and after a month…
    28 January 2020
  • Ghibli
    Re: How a Landlord Agreement Works
    Landlord changing locks and not supplying a key or emergency or temporary accomadation. This after a fire and after the fire…
    26 January 2020
  • alfie
    Re: Title Deeds: Who Keeps Them?
    no point posting questions here nobody answers!
    24 January 2020
  • Husein
    Re: Contracts and Self Employment
    I am a self employed and working in Amazon last 6 month as delivery driver through RAM distribution Company.Unexpected called me…
    10 January 2020